January 2, 2011

Sun, Glorious Sun!

What do you do when it's summer time in Australia, there's a break in a month long rain storm and the glorious, yellow heat source in the sky finally makes an appearance? You head to the beach, of course!


Today, Ryan and I headed north to Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast. We started the afternoon eating pizza on the promenade overlooking the ocean, and there may have been a couple of Golden Ales with lunch.


After lunch, we plopped our rears in the sand and soaked in some Vitamin D. With all the rain storms this past month, we've been sticking pretty close to home. Can you tell from my smile how happy I am to finally get out of the house...


...and put my feet in the sand? Those are some HAPPY feet!


Ryan is like a kid at the beach, and I love it. I've never been a confidant ocean swimmer. Not since I was a kid and got tumbled in the waves like a washing machine while my family was on holiday in Santa Cruz. Today, we played in the waves, and I went further into the ocean than I've gone since I was seven. Thanks Handsome for such a fun, playful day.


In Australia, the patrolled beaches have red and yellow flags. To be safe, you swim between the flags. However, between the flags happens to be the most crowded area. Here's the view from our spot just outside the lifeguard tower and flags. Not a bad view at all.


On our way back to the car, we noticed the benches lining the promenade. How cute are these?


All in all, we had a fantastic day at the beach. We realize it's the wet season, and there's going to be heaps of rain during the summer. But, we can put up with the wet season knowing that on days like this, we will head to the beach!