October 20, 2009

High Price of Moving

This morning I was greeted with some unfortunate news. The international movers who came and inventoried my things a few days ago sent me a quote for moving a small fraction of my belongings to Australia. The amount quoted was over double what I had expected. Ryan had told me how much he paid last year, and I'm taking less than he did. However, we hadn't factored in my distance to the nearest port. I am hundreds of miles from a port, and he lived within miles of one. Mileage definitely adds to the cost of international moving. After a few hours of cold sweats and nauseousness, I realized that no matter what the cost, I am still doing it, so there is no need to stress about it. It's what needs to happen in order to get me to him. Part of my fear stems from the fact that I can't work for awhile after I get there, and I'm relying on my savings to support me for a few months. I also worry about what will happen if, once I am in Australia, I run out of savings before my work visa gets approved. I know that Ryan has thought about all of this too and wouldn't misguide me. But, it all still makes me a little anxious. But, like I said, it's what needs to happen for us to be together. So, my move date has been scheduled and paid for. In five days, a moving crew will be here to box up my things and take them to the nearest port a couple hundred miles away.