January 13, 2011

Safe in the Middle of a Disaster Zone

Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I've felt my fair share of Earthquakes, some more severe than others. Until yesterday, that was the closest I had ever come to a natural disaster. When I moved to Queensland a year ago, I came knowing that I would have an adventure. What I didn't expect was that the "adventure" would include being in the middle of these floods that Australia is calling their worst National Disaster ever.

Today is day 21 of the flood crisis. Most of the devastation in the first 19 days was slightly north to northwest of us. We've spent weeks watching the news as town after town was evacuated, most times by helicopter, as the flood water swallowed the entire town. The whole time, the torrential rain didn't let up across Queensland. Back in September, there were reports that it was the wettest September in over a decade, and similar reports came each month following that. The Wivenhoe Damn, considered full at 60%, opened it's spillway in September for the first time in over a decade, and Queensland declared their decade long drought was over. Today, the Wivenhoe Damn is sitting at 180%.

Two days ago, we watched on the news as towns west of us got inundated. The worst being the Lockyer Valley. The towns of Toowoomba and Grantham were hit with a wall of water 26ft high in some places. They are calling it an "inland Tsunami". There was little notice and much devastation. Soon after this, we got notice to prepare because the water was heading our way, and Brisbane WOULD slowly go under in the next 24 hours as that wall of water moved east toward the ocean.

Ryan went into Marine mode. While stationed in Japan, he went through Category 5 Hurricanes. To prepare, he put new batteries in all the flashlights and headlamps, put the flashlights in strategically placed locations around the apartment, filled the bathtub and a 60L tubby of water, made sure all of our candles were handy & went online to a food storage website and made a grocery list for 3 months worth of non perishable foods. After that, we headed to the store. There was no need to panic YET. The water wasn't set to rise drastically for another 24 hours. Thankfully, WE got plenty of notice.

The scene at the grocery store was, I think, typical for the "calm before the storm". It seems EVERYONE had the same idea.


But, I am happy to say, everyone was calm and patient. The workers were trying to fill the shelves as quickly as their customers emptied them. Because of the previous 19 days of flooding north of us, supply trucks haven't been able to get through, and shelves aren't being easily resupplied. Fortunately, We got everything on Ryan's 3 month list except powdered eggs.



After that we waited. I think that was the hardest part. Unlike the Lockyer Valley, the flooding in Brisbane was a slow process, a gradual increase in the river level. We took a walk along the Dockside Boardwalk in the evening, and we didn't really see much of a change in the river that day....

Yesterday, was a different story altogether. I woke up early and decided to walk 50+ yards to where our street dead ends at the river. To say I wasn't prepared for what I saw is an understatement. The entire boardwalk where Ryan and I walked 12 hours earlier was completely underwater and the water was still rising. In the few moments that I stood there, the water level increased enough to submerge one of the boardwalk's benches.





I hurried home to wake up Ryan and tell him what I saw. We turned on the news and learned that the water would slowly rise all day reaching it's peak of 5.5 meters (18ft.) the following morning. So, all day long we watched as the water slowly crept higher just as predicted. We watched as all sorts of debris, large pontoons, pontoons with boats still attached, dumpsters and cars floated down river toward the ocean. Watching runaway yachts and pontoons racing down a raging, dirty river is something I hope to never witness again.

After awhile we lost our power, which meant we couldn't watch news updates. So, we walked around our neighborhood taking pictures. We really didn't have to go far to see flooding, and the major surge wasn't due for another 12 hours. Already, the street just in front of our building was flooded. THAT was quite a sight!!

That's our building on the left

Yup, this me out front of our building before the major surge

I should probably explain.... We live on a narrow peninsula called Kangaroo Point. The Brisbane river is on two sides of us, and we are directly across from the Brisbane CBD.

Aerial view of Kangaroo Point. If you follow the Story Bridge at the tip of the Point to the left... you will see a cluster of tall apartment complexes close to the river. We live right there!!

We walked to both sides of our peninsula and watched as our frequented places got swallowed. I can't tell you how many times, I said, "Oh my gosh, look!" to Ryan or how many other bewildered faces we saw looking on as the river rose. It seems everyone in our neighborhood had the same macabre curiosity as we did. It's like a train wreck. You shouldn't watch...but, you do!!

Usually, the water level is on the other side of that tree line. Notice the submerged car behind the boat.

Behind the Jazz Club there used to be a river front patio that overlooked the Brisbane CBD across the river.

Our most frequented ferry terminal a block away from our house. Brisbane CBD across the raging river.

Since we had no power, Ryan BBQ ed salmon and a pot of peas. Like many of our neighbors, we sat on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine while keeping one eye of the rising, raging river across the street.



As the sun set, we knew the worst was still to come. Like I said, the forecast was for the water to reach it's peak at 4 a.m. For many Brisbane residents, the floods of 1974 are still in recent memory. Many places around Brisbane have painted flood markers showing where the water level reached. To know how high these markers are and to be told that the water is going to be slightly higher was a little disconcerting. So, we went to bed not knowing what to expect at 4a.m.

I can't really say I slept well. There was a bit of tossing and turning, and Ryan and I both were wide awake at 4 a.m wanting to see the effects from the surge. Our entire street was flooded. But, amazingly, the water stopped 20 ft. shy of our buildings front entrance. It looks like a few of the bottom level apartments may have minimal water damage. But, for the most part, our building avoided any major damage.

After looking down from our balcony at 4 a.m and seeing this...


We decided to take another walk around the neighborhood. But, first we had to make our way 5 stories down the pitch, black stairway with only a flashlight. Not fun for someone who is, admittedly, afraid of the dark. Safely outside, we walked around Kangaroo Point to see what Mother Nature dealt us. I think the biggest surprise for me was seeing the 400 meter long floating walkway, a Brisbane landmark, no longer there. I know there are going to be many other "oh my gosh" moments as the water recedes and we see other things destroyed by the current.

The Dockside Ferry Terminal, now an island, a block from our house.
Nature's Cruel joke...a gorgeous sunrise over a very swollen Brisbane River


Aussie Couple taking it all in as the sun rises over so much destruction

How eerie it is to see your neighborhood under water. There are countless neighborhoods far worse off than us. And, in the end, all that really matters is that we, and all of our friends, are safe and accounted for.

We are now set to deal with the aftermath. There will be plenty of clean up and rebuilding to do. Ryan and I are meant to be here for two more years. Something tells me that Queensland will still be rebuilding long after we've moved back to the States.


**To view my entire gallery of flood photos click on this blog's title "Safe in the Middle of a Disaster Zone" above.