And it's already begun. In many areas around Brisbane, the water began receding rather quickly. More quickly than I could have imagined. 24 hours after the major surge, Ryan and I took a walk around our neighborhood.
Our street, which had been flooded the day before, was already being pressure washed...
Our building is directly to the right of where I am standing to take this photo and that black car on the right had water almost up to it's roof...As was the Dockside Boardwalk, a block away.
24 hours earlier, the river level would have been well over where these men are standing
Kangaroo Point neighbors out cleaning up the Dockside Pathway the morning after the flood. Notice the back end of the boat that got pushed up on the walkway wall during the flood.The next morning, I turned on the news and saw not only the Army...
(Photo Courtesy of LTMusicPhotography.com)
(Photo Courtesy of AnnSamHill)But, also an outpouring of volunteers, both young...

and old,
(Photos Courtesy of Andy Zakeli)descending upon Brisbane to help with the clean up. After they registered, they were bused to the neighborhoods with the most need. By 8 a.m., 5,000 Volunteers had already registered. Later that night we learned that in total 12,000 people had volunteered across the city that day. There has been an incredible sense of solidarity shown by Queenslanders to each other in this hour of need. And believe me when I say People are in need. This is the view for thousands and thousands of people.
(Photo Courtesy of Home_Borealis)This is what it looks like across the street from our apartment

I knew staying home and watching TV on this Saturday wasn't an option. Even if it was going to be 90 degrees with 70% humidity and even if there was a much anticipated NFL Playoff Game on... we needed to get out and help.
Our friend, Patty, works at the River Life Adventure Centre on Kangaroo Point. We walked over there and helped out for a few hours. The day before, the river had been up to the windows on the lower level. To say that they had some cleaning to do is an understatement. The amount of silt left behind after a flood is indescribable. It was hot and humid, and I was miserable at times. But, then I'd see the young kids next to me cleaning without complaining, and that inspired me to shut up and keep working.
Patty showing off the 1974 Flood Level Sign at River Life. This flood level reached just below that sign
Three Amigos taking a break for a Photo Op
Helping The River Life Centre get back into Operation.It really has been quite amazing to see the community come together to start the clean up effort. I realize it's only the beginning of a very long process, but if people can keep up this Queensland Spirit that we've been witnessing, I have no doubt that this State will be back to normal in no time.
**To see my full Gallery of photos from our clean up day at The River Life Adventure Centre click on the title of this blog entry.