October 1, 2010

The Perfect Morning


The Perfect Morning, originally uploaded by images by cristi.

My idea of the perfect morning is drinking a 'flat white' in the living room, while the sliders and windows are screen less and wide open letting in the fresh Aussie morning air. Before moving to Oz, I was quite content with my French Press or drip coffee makers. However, times have changed. I am, admittedly, now a coffee snob!

The coffee in Oz can't really be described. It's something that one must experience. There are no drip coffee machines here. Everywhere you go, even the hairdressers or McDonald's, there is an espresso machine waiting to make you the most glorious coffee.

Ryan bought me an Italian Espresso Machine for Christmas. I get ALOT of use out of it. When my sister was here, I introduced her to Flat Whites and Cappuccinos. I think I turned her into a coffee snob, as well. When she got home to California, she tried to instruct one of the baristas in Grass Valley on how to make her a flat white. I'm sorry to say, they failed!

Thankfully, practice does make perfect. I have been using my espresso machine daily for 9 months and just last week, I accomplished my first latte art. It was a heart. I was quite proud of myself. But, I must admit, it was done completely by mistake. The frothed milk just happened to pour out of the milk jug in a heart shape. It was on the morning that Ryan proposed to me....coincidence??