August 22, 2010

Feeling a Bit Like Spring

I've always enjoyed gardening. There's something about planting a small plant and watching how, over time, it grows and changes that I just love. And it's even better when that plant provides food.

When I first moved to Oz, Ryan and I spent a small fortune buying everything we'd need to plant our patio gardens. We ended up with 3 fruit trees, 2 tomato plants, heaps of herbs and flowers. Unfortunately, our tomato plants didn't survive. We got one small tomato between the two plants. We figured out quickly that Australian summers are NOT the right time to plant tomatoes. So, now that spring is just around the corner, we've decided to give it another go.

Hopefully, this time our tomatoes will survive. Again, we bought two plants ~ one is a Big Beef and the other is a cherry tomato variety.



We also stocked up on some of the herbs that had died off over the winter ~ basil, mint, cilantro and thyme. And planted them along side the herbs that survived the winter ~ oregano, lemon verbena, rosemary, parsley and tarragon.




And I had to have this Snapdragon. We had an extra pot since I killed a house plant, and I knew that our back patio would feel more complete with another plant : )





Now, that that days are getting warmer and our patios are filled with plants again, it's feeling a bit like Spring in Oz.