May 20, 2010

Lightroom Effects

This past Christmas I bought a Nikon D90. I've been interested in photography since Mr. Dreyfus' High School Photography class. However, I've never owned a "real" camera. I've had a few 35mm automatic cameras, but until 6 months ago I never owned an interchangeable lens camera. Now that I have my dream camera, my goal is to learn how to take better pictures. I've been doing a lot of research this week. In addition to re-learning about F-stops, shutter speed, white balance, depth of field etc.., I have learned that sometimes pictures that I thought were good originally can be made even better by digitally editing them. This option wasn't available in Mr. Dreyfus' class where we were using actual film instead of digital cameras.

This first picture is the original. And honestly, I was quite happy with this picture. Many times, you take a picture and it doesn't turn out how your eye is seeing it. This is EXACTLY how the beach looked that day.



Using Lightroom software, I clicked my mouse a few times and tweaked my original picture and got this. What a differece! I'm not saying this is the best picture ever. I'm only noticing what a differance this editing software can have on a photo.



Now, I'm not only learning how the different camera functions can alter a photograph, but also learning how to enhance a picture by using Lightroom. I have A LOT to learn!!