May 31, 2010

A Fall Surprise

I love surprises, and a surprise trip is superior! This past weekend, Ryan surprised me with a trip to one of my favorite cities in Oz ~ MeLBouRNe! I've never been surprised with a trip before, and being told to pack a bag for the weekend is an amazing request.

I knew it would be cold in Melbourne. I was actually excited to be able to wear a scarf, a hat and a jacket. Living in tropical Queensland in the north, we don't really have a need for winter clothing. But, what I wasn't prepared for in Melbourne were the fall colors. It was amazing. This was the last weekend of Fall in Oz, and I didn't miss it. I got to experience fall after all ~ even if it was only for three days
.

Leaves on Lygon Street
Fall Colors
Layers and Layers of Leaves Melbourne Victorian Row Houses in Fall
We've been to Melbourne several times. Each time, it feels more and more familiar. We can now navigate our way through the city on the City Circular Tram without a map or a timetable.

Our Main Means of Transportation



While in Melbourne, we always seem to return to our favorite places: The Queen Vic Market, The Belgian Beer Cafe, The Italian food and shopping precinct on Lygon Street and Southgate along the Yarra River.

Blocks and Blocks of Outdoor Cafes on Lygon Street, the Italian Capital of Oz


Looking across the Yarra River to the Arts Precinct in Southgate

Looking up the Yarra River toward the Ferris Wheel and Cricket Grounds


But, we also make sure to have new adventures, as well. One new adventure was window shopping along Brunswick Street, which is like Berkeley, Haight and Ashbury and Europe combined. I love old architecture and am a hippy at heart, so this neighborhood spoke to me.

Patio Fountain on Brunswick Street

Typical Sidewalk Flower Shop in Australia, Brunswick Street
My Favourite (Aussie spelling of "favorite")

Surrounded by Rustic Buildings

Bikes for hire at Little Creatures Brewery on Brunswick

Enjoying some White Rabbit

Beers on Tap at Little Creatures


I think the best, most terrifying adventure was the Crime and Justice Experience at the Melbourne Gaol (pronounced jail)~ the oldest jail in Melbourne where 135 people, including infamous Ned Kelly, were hanged. The following pictures were taken AFTER the 45 minute experience, which we ironically paid for. The Crime and Justice Experience showed Ryan and I what it would be like to be arrested, charged and locked-up inside the City Watch House. The Sergeant in charge immediately separated the men from the women, which made me uncomfortable. We were made to line up on opposite sides of the Watch House hallway, while the Sergeant verbally chastised us. I've never been good with confrontation. Ryan "Mr. Marine" was fine with it and enjoyed it for the "tour" that it was. I, on the other hand, felt nauseous and faint and experienced the worst panic attack I think I've ever had. After standing in the hall and being verbally berated for quite a while the men were led into a cell, told to line up arms distance apart and ordered not to speak as the sergeants slammed the door, locked it and yelled, "lights out". After that, the women were put a different cell where the same things were ordered. I thought the whole "lights out" phrase was done for theatrics. Scary doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when the door was slammed and locked and the lights were turned off. I am, admittedly, afraid of the dark. The cells we were in had solid doors and no windows. To say it was pitch black would be an understatement. This is when I FREAKED OUT!! We weren't told how long we would be locked in. I don't think we were in the cells for longer than 2 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. One of the scariest 2 minutes of my life! After being "released' we were allowed to walk around the prison and take pictures.

Inside the Prison

Ryan in the outside "yard"


The women's "yard"
The Gallows

Ned Kelly's cell

Safely OUTSIDE the cell

Melbourne, once again, didn't disappoint. It was an amazing weekend, and I can't thank Ryan enough for my incredible surprise.