Last summer, when I arrived at Ryan's apartment in Australia, he offered me a beer. I had been awake and traveling for about 24 hours and a beer sounded fabulous. Inside his refrigerator was no fewer than 50 homebrewed beers. He and his boss, Howard, had gone to a local brew on premise facility and had brewed a Begian Triple. That was the beginning of my cheap beer demise!
Ryan's refrigerator the day I arrived last July
Since then, Ryan and Howard have returned to BrewsBrothers every few months. They spend a couple of hours brewing the beer and then eagerly wait four weeks for the yeast to do its thing. At which time, they return to bottle it and bring home the gold. During the four week fermentation, it is kept in a refrigerated environment inside of a keg.
BrewsBrothers
Where the brewing takes place!
This past week, I accompanied them to BrewsBrothers to watch the process. This time, they made an IPA ~ India Pale Ale. In four weeks, we will return and I'll see how they bottle it. Except this time, Ryan will put his share in two 2.5 gallon kegs that he bought while in the States this past January.
Ryan measuring the liquid malt extract
Measuring the corn sugar
Discussing the recipe
Primary source for inspiration
Stiring the malt extract and dextrose into the boiling water
Adding the specialty grains
Adding one of the four kinds of hops