After checking into the Amora Hotel, we walked a few blocks towards The Rocks in search of dinner. The Rocks is the site of Australia's first settlement. For many years, it had a reputation as a place of brawling, hard drinking, whoring and villainy. The area is now a tourist meca which has an almost medieval feel. We ended up eating at an outdoor restaurant called Peter Doyle's on the Quay overlooking both the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. It was my first taste of Sydney, and it was hard to know which direction to look.
Peter Doyle's is the building on the left
The next day, I had the entire day to explore Sydney alone since Ryan was working. I had my tour book handy and had already mapped out everything I wanted to see. I walked more than four miles that day, but it was worth it because I got to see why Sydney has established itself as one of the world's great cities. I walked along the promenade at Circular Quay (pronounced 'key') watching the ferries and street performers on my way toward the Opera House.
The landward approach to the Opera House
A minutes walk from the steps leading up to the Opera House is the Royal Botanic Garden. These luxuriantly planted 74 acres are one of the oldest Botanic Gardens in the world and the perfect counterpoint to the high-rise buildings and bustle of the city.
After walking through much of the garden, I headed toward the CBD (Central Business District). I had been told that Lindt Chocolate Cafe was a must while in Sydney. I agree. I got an iced mocha and passed several historic sites as I walked towards the many-domed Queen Victoria Building, a cathedral to conspicuous consumption. Needless to say, after spending about 6 hours exploring the city, my day ended with a nap while I waited for Ryan to come home from work.
The Copper Domes of The Queen Victoria Building, a 19th century shopping arcade
My second full day in Sydney was spent on the top of a double-decker bus enjoying the hop on hop off privledges that my ticket allowed. The tour originated at Central Station, continued around Darling Harbour, through The Rocks, Circular Quay, CBD, Kings Cross and The Botanical Gardens stopping at key attractions along the way. I could hop off, take pictures and catch another double decker bus because new buses passed every 15 mintues. It is a great way to see the city.
Looking at Sydney from Darling Harbour
After another long day, we ate the most delicious meal I think I've ever eaten. We had Grilled Baramundi and Grilled Queensland Prawns at Cafe Sydney. Cafe Sydney is an elegant restaurant on the 5th floor of the old Customs House on Circular Quay. It overlooks the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. I highly recommend this restaurant to all who visit.
View from Cafe Sydney

The following day, we took a ferry to the Toronga Zoo. It's a 15 minute ferry ride across the harbour to the zoo, and the ride takes you from the city to lush bush within minutes. In fact, when we arrived at the ferry landing Ryan pointed toward the hillside and informed me that we had arrived at the zoo. I could see nothing more than the canopy of the tropical forest. It's a beautiful zoo set in the middle of the harbour with panoramic views from every direction. We've been to three other zoos in Oz, so we were expecting to see many of the same animals. I was excited to learn that, unlike the other zoos, Toronga Zoo is home to penguins. I was especially excited when I got to the penguin enclosure and saw fairy penguins ~ the smallest penguins in the world and my favorite!! We spent most of the day exploring the zoo and learning more about all of the animals that call Australia home.
The view of the zoo from the ferry landing
Fairy Penguin
Saturday was our last full day in Sydney and we spent the day at Manly Beach, where the art of surfing originated in Australia in 1915. It's a 30 minute ferry ride to where the harbour meets the Pacific Ocean. Lined with shops, take-away stands, cafes and pubs a broad concourse called The Corso channels you from the ferry landing to the curving sandy beach. Ryan and I laid in the sand and were lulled into a comatose state by the rush of the waves in our ears and the warm sun on our faces. It was a beautiful afternoon. We watched the surfers and sunbathers for awhile, and then walked to get one of our favorite treats ~ Gelato.
Where the harbour opens to the Pacific
Manly Beach

Sunday Morning was spent at the Rocks Market eating breakfast and watching the tourists be fascinated by what the vendors had to offer. We had met a man from NY traveling with his two daughters the night before. They had just finished the Bridge Climb and were celebrating by having a beer. Since they were flying home to the US the next morning, they were going to be unable to use their tickets to the Bridge Tower that they had recieved after the Bridge Climb and were nice enough to give them to us. After breakfast, we headed to the stone tower and climbed the 200 steps up to the lookout. We got our last look at Sydney from here before heading to the airport and flying an hour back to Brisbane. It was a fantastic trip. The city is not only beautiful, but also rich with history. I can definately see why Sydney is one of the world's great cities.
The Opera House seen from the Bridge Tower
The Rocks on the right
Circular Quay to the left
and the city in the background
Standing on top of the Bridge Tower looking at the Harbour Bridge
To see more pictures... you can go to my photos on my FB page and click on the Sydney folder