January 28, 2010

12 Extremely Long Days

I've said before that one advantage of Ryan's job is that he gets to travel. I need to revise that statement. It's only advantageous when I get to travel with him. This week is Aperio's annual sales conference, and the conference is in San Diego. We weighed the pros and cons of me going with him and decided that it was best for me to stay in Oz while he is working in The States. So, I dropped him off at the International Terminal a week ago and have been trying to keep myself busy since then.

Ryan's boss, Howard, is with him at the conference. His wife, Marg, has been making sure to keep me busy. She is a fantastic lady and really fun to hang out with. I met her last July on my first trip to Oz. Ryan and I ate dinner with her and Howard several times while I was here. Now, that I live in Australia, she has fast become a good friend of mine. My only friend at this point. Anyways, she made sure to let me know that she wouldn't be letting me get lonely or bored while the boys were in America.

We have had several "dates". To begin with, we have had our regularly scheduled Wednesday date ~ YOGA. Brisbane's West End is home to a very Bohemian population, which reminds me of my days in Chico. We have been taking a Yoga class at a place called The Yoga Den for the last few weeks. I've taken Yoga before, but this kind of Yoga is unlike anything I've ever done. It more closely resembles what, I think, Yoga is supposed to be like.

In addition to Yoga, we went to see Avatar in 3D the other night. What an amazing movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, I don't want to give it away. Let's just say, James Cameron did a beautiful job portraying a theme that has been commonly seen in history, and he makes you see things from a different perspective. Very, very well done. In fact, when Ryan gets home, I'm going to take him to go see it. The 3D cinebar is about 5 ferry stops from our apartment. A cinebar is a theater that is licensed to serve wine, beer or champagne with the movie. I've noticed there are a lot of cinebars in Australia, which is very unique.

In addition, to Yoga class and watching Avatar Marg and I have also gone to lunch and dinner several times. Food in Australia is really quite good. And, although it's more expensive than home, it's well worth it. There is no such thing as "Australian food". We have such a big European and Asian influence here. Really, you can get just about any kind of food you can imagine. I say "just about" because Mexican food is the only kind of food that is really non-existent here. You can get Spanish, but it's very different than the Mexican food you see in California. And I am starting to seriously crave some Casa Lupe Salsa and Fajitas.

Other than that, I have been doing a lot of swimming, reading and watching the Australian Open on the Telly. Marg and I have plans to go to a garden store tomorrow and to take her dog to the beach the next day. So, we are still making "dates" and keeping ourselves busy.

I have 6 more days until Ryan is back in Oz. It's been a long 6 days and I have 6 more to go... The apartment is very quiet without him here. It's amazing how you can miss someone so much even though you talk to them on Skype daily. Yup, we are back to talking on Skype every night! Except we are reversed this time. I am in Australia and he's in The States. It does make it a little easier to be able to see him while we talk, but I will be a very happy lady once my guy returns home.