April 25, 2010

National Pride

Funny how living in another country can trigger your sense of National pride more so than when you were living in your home country. Maybe it's because I saw so many people showing their National Aussie pride today or maybe it's because I'm older and have a greater understanding of what it means to be a soldier. Whatever the reason, today I was reminded of how many men and women have served in the Armed Forces, and I felt thankful.

This morning, Ryan and I met Howard and Marg at the ANZAC Day Parade in downtown Brisbane. ANZAC is the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Today is an Australian National Holiday. It can be compared to American's Veteran's Day and Memorial Day combined and multiplied by 10. There are dawn services, parades and events all over Australia in every city and suburb for this 3-Day Holiday.

We watched for two hours as servicemen and women from the Army, Navy and Air Force marched down George Street making their way toward Anzac Square. There were 191 different Units represented with well over 1000 Soldiers marching. Most of the soldiers marched on their own, while a few were driven in army vehicles or classic cars from the WWII era. I've never seen so many men and women in uniform or so many medals, and it was overwhelming to think of what they've lived through.

Dancing to the beat of the marching band


Soldier taking a picture of his fellow mates


Mother and son on the lookout for the boy's Grandpa


Grandfather pointing at the Soldiers marching


Cheering on Grandpa as his Unit is marching past


Well decorated Soldier


Have to love the classic car


Banner introducing the next Unit


Jeep from the USA being driven by Aussie Army Soldier


One of many Units that marched in the Parade


The Royal Marines


Another Classic Car transporting Soldiers through the parade


Marching in formation


Notice the "caution left hand drive" sign on the jeep